Saturday 12 September 2009

Boulders (Babinda), Mission Beach and Murray Falls


Hannah and I after walking up to the top of Murray Falls. It was really really hot and humid


The Murray River Valley.



Murray Falls - very sacred to the North Queensland Aboriginals. I was surprised to find some Australian bloke having a wee off the boardwalk into the river, when he was actually parked next to the toilet. Hannah didn't agree with me taking a photo...so I didn't.



The moon and Mission Beach - got its name from a Queensland Government Aboriginal Centre built in the early 1900's however it was raised to the ground in 1914 by a cyclone. The locals called the centre a 'Mission' and the name stuck ever since


A spider I found in the blokes toilet but Hannah was way to scared to look at it so I took a photo. Some french blokes came along and flicked it out with a fishing rod and killed it, which was a shame as it was hurting no one.

I have just realised that I keep referring to French people in the negative...and I really don't mean to. However all of mine and Hannahs trip so far has consisted in rude, destructive and quite arrogant French travelers who will look you up and down, speak to each other while still looking at you and when you require a power socket (which they have plugged their whole house into) they don't do anything, just scoff and turn away. So I just unplug something and get on with it :)




The Aboriginal story behind these granite boulders is as follows - I will add it once I have found it....sorry.


Boulders at Babinda (the Umbrella town as it has the highest average rainfall in the whole of Queensland). While we were there we had some amazingly heavy rain, raining brave it was, proper tropical downpour!!!! however it was still about 27C so very humid afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment